Wednesday 1 July 2009

Go frugal

Frugality is the practice of acquiring goods and services in a restrained manner, and resourcefully using already owned economic goods and services, to achieve a longer term goal. (en.wikipedia.org)

Frugality - recently the word kept coming back to me again and again. First, I read this inspiring book by Kath Kelly How I Lived a Year on Just a Pound a Day. I picked it up in the bookstore on an impulse and couldn't put it down until I was done. And then a friend of mine posted on his blog his own experience of frugality. And this made me think: can I do it? Me? The compulsive shopper? The person who has no savings and loves sitting in cafes, restaurants and cinemas? Can I go frugal?

Luckily for me, the circumstances are favorable for a more economical life. What with the economy failing, moving to DK and planning our wedding. Saving some money is the right choice. And so I started thinking what can I do, to go frugal:

1. First of all the food. We don't have a garden so no homegrown veggies but we can definitely reduce our waste. With more planning, we can buy only as much products as we actually need and throw away less. We have also started to bake our own bread (cheaper and taster) and drink tap water instead of buying sodas, tea, coffee or juices (cheaper and healthier). Plus we will cut down on take aways and going out and have friends over more often instead.

2. It's summer so instead of going to cinemas or clubs, we can have pick-nicks in the parks and join some free events. There is plenty ads on the Internet.

3. I will also read all the books that I bought and haven't read yet. There are quiet a few so I don't have to spend money on new ones any time soon.

4. Mending and re-doing my clothes is quiet an obvious way of saving up. I like doing it anyway!

So, I am going frugal. Stay tuned for updates and maybe some tips on how to.

No comments:

Post a Comment